20 01 20

first_img GUIDING YOUTH IN A POSITIVE WAY The 2016 Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Six-a-Side Football League got off to a colourful start on Saturday, with the 20 teams participating in the dress parade. At the end of the greetings, speeches, and judging by Brian Rose, Wayne Shaw and ASP Anthony Johnson, Angola Strikers retained their title as the winner complete with a $15,000 cash prize with Eurotrend finishing second and Future Strikers, third. In the opening Zone A games, defending champions Eurotrend whipped 2014 champions Darkside 3-0, with two goals from Kemar Bygrave and an own goal, while Future Strikers and Ashoka played out a 0-0 draw, with the latter missing a penalty in the final minute. Kemar Bygrave, captain of Eurotrend and the leading goal scorer of last year’s competition said, “We have started on the right footing with this 3-0 victory, the team played well, and we intend to retain our title and also win the individual titles of Most Valuable Player and Leading Goal Scorer.” Robert White, managing director of sponsor Sanmerna Paper Products noted, “It is a pleasure to support Shelly-Ann in this community project. I myself am a product of this community, and we see this as our duty to support others and help to create a wider family unit that guides the younger ones in a positive way.” The spectators had a field day as they were treated to lots of spot prizes from host Ms Kitty, courtesy of Nike and Digicel. The league will be played on weekends, with Zone D teams Penwood versus Untouchables, Rangers playing Cuba, while in Zone E, Miles United play Trendsetter and Living Legend play Malhatra this Saturday. On Sunday, Eurotrend will play Future Strikers, Darkside play Ashoka, while in Zone B, Lion Den face Youths United and Checkers will go up against Renegade United. Nike, along with telecommunications giants Digicel and GraceKennedy, for whom Fraser-Pryce is an ambassador, are the main sponsors, while Wisynco, through their product, Wata, Tank-Weld Metals, Sagicor Bank, Sanmerna Paper Products Limited, Main Event, Toyota and National Commercial Bank Foundation, are also sponsors of the competition.last_img read more

3 01 20
first_imgDeputy District Attorney John Lewin asked Williams to identify Marshall. She hesitated before glancing in his direction. “I don’t recognize him, but I know who he is – William Charles Marshall,” she said. Williams, a social worker who reluctantly returned to California from Ohio to testify under subpoena, said she first learned about the killing from officers who came to her South Los Angeles home on Halloween 1984. She told them, per Marshall’s instructions, that he was home, they ate spaghetti and she went to bed early – leaving him to watch television. Williams said she later asked Marshall why the officers questioned her. “I stabbed this young lady,” Marshall tearfully told her during a conversation in her car, she said. He added that he “went back” and slit her throat so that, in case she regained consciousness, she “could not write his name in blood.” The manner and order in which Hoynes, 21, was stabbed is critical to the case. The medical examiner previously testified that Hoynes received two stab wounds in the back – one fatal and one potentially fatal – and her throat was cut at or near the time of death. Marshall also told Williams that he didn’t get any money from the robbery. Evidence presented so far during nearly two weeks of trial suggests that Hoynes let Marshall into the restaurant after hours while she was doing paperwork. Marshall, who was terminated several days before for, among other things, stealing from the store, had told other managers he was going to pick up a briefcase and leave his uniform. Marshall, who was an assistant manager, would have known the combination to the safe; however, it was changed after he was fired, witnesses have said. The evidence suggests that Marshall stabbed Hoynes in a surprise attack, tried to open the safe, then slashed her throat as she lay on the kitchen floor. After Marshall allegedly confessed to Williams, he fretted about not being able to go to heaven, Williams said. Then, she said, he spit on her closed car window. He told her he thought it was open, but that moment stands out in her mind as odd. Circumstantial evidence Also this week, jurors heard from more than a half-dozen law enforcement witnesses who offered more pieces of the circumstantial evidence puzzle. Retired detective Andrew Conahan Jr. told the jury how, while under surveillance on Nov. 10, 1984, Marshall drove erratically late at night to the Fountain Valley Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet where he once worked. Conahan described how Marshall used varying speeds, pulled over to the side of the freeway for several minutes, took a circular route to his destination, parked his car several times near the restaurant and then got out and approached the employee door. Conahan said Marshall was using “counter-surveillance” techniques and was engaging in “casing behavior.” Retired police Lt. Gilbert Kranke said he saw Marshall outside the Fountain Valley store that same night, and was part of the team that arrested him as he returned to Los Angeles. Kranke said a blue bag containing a boning knife was found inside the car Marshall was driving. In Marshall’s pockets were three white gloves and a pocket knife. Kranke said Marshall told him he had the gloves because they were “stylish.” Sandra Wiersema, an FBI forensic examiner with expertise in shoes, said she analyzed the boots Marshall was wearing when he was arrested that night, as well as a piece of foam found near Hoynes’ body. Wiersema could only say that, based on the size and U-shape of the foam, it would fit inside the collar in the heel of the boot. However, during cross-examination by defense attorney Simon Aval, Wiersema said she could not make a “definite determination” that the foam came from Marshall’s boot. Foam was confusing The foam perplexed the initial investigators, who did not know where it came from or what it was. When Detective Jim Wallace reopened the case, he made the connection and sent the items to Wiersema. Wallace received the results of Wiersema’s analysis before Williams or Marshall were re-contacted in the case in 2005. He testified he orchestrated simultaneous, surprise interviews by himself and detectives thousands of miles apart to ensure there was no contact between the two. When the detectives came to Williams’ home on April 28, 2005, she said she was taken off guard and still didn’t tell the truth. She said she told them that a head injury several years ago affected her memory. Williams admitted on the witness stand that she was trying to buy time to get her lies straight, and that she contacted a criminal defense attorney after the detectives left. The attorney, Donald Butler, testified Thursday that he advised Williams to tell the detectives whatever she knew. Williams said she was worried about getting in trouble because she had lied. But, when a detective called her on Sept. 20, 2005, she followed Butler’s advice and told him everything Williams told her about the stabbing. This included linking the foam to Marshall’s boots. “I had no idea what it was,” she said about the photo shown to her by detectives the day after the murder. She described it to Marshall, and he went into his shoe and pulled out a similar object, she said. “I said, `Oh my God! Where did you get it?”‘ Williams said. “He said, `I didn’t get it, it’s the other one.”‘ Then he threw it out the car window while they drove on the Harbor (110) Freeway. She and Marshall stayed together for about three more years. They never spoke of the incident again, she said, adding that she didn’t want to know about it. Williams also said she and Marshall both used drugs during that time. The prosecution is expected to rest its case today. Aval has not said whether Marshall will testify. denise.nix@dailybreeze.com160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “He said that if I was contacted by anyone, he didn’t specify who, that I was to tell them he was with me,” Yvonne Williams testified. Robin Hoynes’ murder case remained unsolved for nearly two decades, even though detectives suspected Marshall and had arrested him 10 days after the Oct. 30, 1984, slaying. However, he was released at the time without any charges being filed. Marshall, 46, a state Department of Forestry fire captain, was arrested and indicted by a grand jury in 2006. New information from Williams was key to the case. Marshall faces life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted by the Torrance Superior Court jury of murder and the special circumstance of killing during a robbery. As Williams took the witness stand late Wednesday, she kept her gaze away from Marshall. He sorted documents and did not look up at his former girlfriend for several minutes. TORRANCE: A jury hears Yvonne Williams say William Marshall didn’t come home the night of the 1984 slaying. By Denise Nix STAFF WRITER William Marshall never came home the night he allegedly killed a Torrance Kentucky Fried Chicken manager, his girlfriend told a jury this week, acknowledging that she lied 23 years ago when first questioned about his whereabouts. last_img