Nov 30, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – An Indonesian woman who died in a Jakarta hospital yesterday has tested positive for H5N1 avian influenza, according to officials quoted in The Jakarta Post. Further testing is pending at a World Health Organization (WHO) reference laboratory in Hong Kong.If further tests confirm the diagnosis, the case in the 25-year-old homemaker, Sri Wahyuni, will be Indonesia’s 13th case of avian flu and the eighth fatal one, according to the Post. Wahyuni had been treated in a general hospital in Tangerang for 3 days before being transferred to Sulianti Saroso hospital in Jakarta on Nov 24.”When we admitted her the condition was already bad,” said Ilham Patu, a spokesman at the Jakarta hospital.Indonesian, Chinese health infrastructures criticizedThe Post said more than a dozen deaths from H5N1 are suspected in Indonesia. The story described the country’s infrastructure as “an overstretched health system battling to respond to outbreaks and animal health experts also struggling to keep track of numerous clusters of bird infections.”China’s infrastructure was also disparaged in a Reuters story today in which China’s health minister, Gao Qiang, denied allegations that the Chinese government was covering up human H5N1 infections. (A U.S.-based Chinese Web service identified people it claimed have avian flu, but those claims have not been substantiated elsewhere, and the Chinese government has consistently denied the reports.)”I am not worried about governments at various levels covering up an epidemic,” Gao said at a news conference, according to Reuters. “But I am worried about the inability of our medical and quarantine personnel at the local level to diagnose and discover epidemics in a timely fashion due to their low abilities and relatively backward equipment.”Gao added that Shanghai Pharmaceutical is working with Swiss drug-maker Roche to get the technology to manufacture oseltamivir in China, Reuters reported.FAO urges countries not to kill wild birdsThe United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) yesterday urged countries to leave wild birds alone, following reports that such birds were being killed in Vietnam’s Ho Chi Minh City as a precaution against avian flu.”This is unlikely to make any significant contribution to the protection of humans against avian influenza,” said Juan Lubroth, FAO senior officer in charge of infectious animal diseases, in an FAO news release. “There are other, much more important measures to be considered that deserve priority attention.”FAO, the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE), and the WHO all emphasize the following priorities, the news release noted:Improving veterinary services and preparedness plans and focusing on control efforts such as culling infected animals, vaccinating at-risk poultry, and compensating farmers for lost poultry stocks;Improving detection and response systems for animal and human flu;Bolstering laboratory capacity; andProviding support and training to investigate animal and human cases and clusters and to plan and test quick containment efforts.Controlling the virus in poultry is the best way to reduce the potential for a virus to develop efficient human-to-human transmission, Lubroth added in the news release.See also:FAO news release on wild birdshttp://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/2005/1000166/index.html
The video later changes scene to what appears to be a house. A woman, seemingly the same one, is seen crying and screaming while being carried by several shirtless men.Bintang said kawin tangkap was a form of violence against women and an infringement of human rights.”This case in Sumba is a [form of] violence and harassment against women. Don’t let culture and tradition be used as an excuse to harass women and children,” Bintang said during an online meeting about forced marriage on Friday. She explained that there was similar bride kidnapping practice in Bali, but as time went by, the tradition was left behind because it did not align with current norms. “Culture or tradition is not static but dynamic.”Presidential Office undersecretary V. Jaleswari Pramodhawardani said kawin tangkap should not be considered part of Sumba culture as it ignored humanitarian values.”Acknowledging the practice of kawin tangkap as part of [Sumba] culture is clearly ignoring humanitarian values and harming our dignity as humans. This is a serious matter that needs attention from all parties […] and an active response from the police,” she said.Ratu Ngadu Bonu Wulla, a member of House of Representatives Commission IX representing Sumba, also slammed kawin tangkap, claiming it had “negatively affected Sumba women”.”As a Sumba woman I don’t want [locals] to continue practicing this tradition because it has negatively affected Sumba women and robbed them of their rights” Ratu said.Bintang expressed hope to cooperate with the police force on the island and local NGOs to stop the practice and protect women from violence and exploitation.Jaleswari said she had cooperated with activists to collect data of women who were victims of this practice.”We’ve never heard victims report this practice to the police, I’m worried the victims are under the threat of violence so they could not report the case. So, we’ve collected data of victims from four regions, namely Central Sumba, East Sumba, West Sumba and Southwest Sumba. The victims’ ages range from 16 to 26. I hope police officers don’t hesitate to process reports about kawin tangkap because it’s a crime against humanity,” she said.Human rights activist Valentina Sagala said people who were involved in kawin tangkap could be charged under articles 328 and 333 of the Criminal Code on abduction and forcible confinement, which carry a penalty of more than five years in prison.“The practice of kawin tangkap violates the 1945 Constitution, which states that every citizen deserves to feel safe, and the Marriage Law, which prohibits the use of force in marriage. It is also possible that the practice involves kidnapping and forcible confinement, so the perpetrators could be criminally charged,” Valentina told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.She said the Criminal Procedure law said the police did not have to wait for reports from victims but could initiate the investigation themselves.Valentina said kawin tangkap underlined the importance of passing the much anticipated sexual violence bill, which has been stalled yet again.“As of now, someone cannot be criminally charged for forced marriage, but the sexual violence bill regulates forced marriage as a criminal offence. So it’s very important to pass the bill as soon as possible,” she said.Topics : A viral video showing a woman being carried by force by a group of men in a practice known as kawin tangkap (capture and wed) has angered Women’s Empowerment and Child Protection Minister Bintang Puspayoga.In the video, said to have been taken on Sumba Island, East Nusa Tenggara, a group of men can be seen carrying a distressed-looking woman to a black pickup truck in a public space. Another woman comes to hug the woman through the open window while trying to open the car door to get the kidnapped woman out.Dozens of people can be seen crowding the car, cheering and taking videos, while the kidnapped woman cries. read more
New York Post 13 June 2019Family First Comment: People shouldn’t get locked up for having a joint in their pocket. Legislators can look to advance criminal justice reforms concerning possession of small amounts of marijuana without throwing the doors open to a predatory industry that will have significant and irreconcilable impact on public health. That’s real social justice.Lobbyists and lawmakers everywhere like to make bold-but-reality-challenged claims to advance legislation. But in its push to legalize commercial weed, the marijuana industry has taken legislative myth-peddling to brazen new lows.New York’s lawmakers have a few days left to show the nation they won’t be duped. Here are some of the tallest of the tales that have swirled around Albany, thanks to the pot industry:First, the industry claims high-potency commercial weed will provide social justice and economic opportunity for minority communities.African American legislators in New Jersey didn’t fall for that, and their New York counterparts shouldn’t, either. The pot industry — backed by Big Tobacco and wealthy, mostly white Wall Street investors — is looking to line its own pockets. These multinational forces aren’t getting into pot to help minority entrepreneurs.Remember when liquor stores and smoke shops were clustered in largely low-income and minority neighborhoods? Pot shops selling high-potency drugs engineered to create regular customers won’t lead to any more empowerment and opportunity for urban populations than clustered vice stores did.There has been no quantifiable positive economic impact for such communities in legalized states. In fact, taxpayers and communities have had to shoulder an estimated $4.50 in social costs for every $1 in revenue, according to researchers at the Centennial Institute.READ MORE: https://nypost.com/2019/06/13/what-big-pot-doesnt-want-you-to-know-about-costs-of-legalizing-marijuana/ read more
“We are projecting 126,000 tourists tovisit Guimaras after the launching of Oplan #LoveGuimaras Assistance Package orOLAP for the next 12 months,” Catalbas added. The launching was marked with theturnover of colorful umbrellas for the use of passengers and tourists at theembarkation/disembarkation points located at Parola Wharf here and Buenavistaand Jordan wharves in Guimaras. Catalbas added the agency wasprojecting tourist receipts amounting to P425,817,000 for Guimaras. Part of this initiative is the holdingof a fashion show dubbed “United Colors of Guimaras” to be slated January nextyear; a familiarization tour for travel agents and tour operators and an artexhibition, which are both targeted to be held on February.(With a report from PIA/PN) DOT-6 regional director Helen Catalbassaid the initiative was implemented in order to help the island-province reviveits tourism industry which turned inactive after the Aug. 3 sea tragedy. She said that given an average of 350domestic and foreign tourists visiting the province, the figure couldaccumulate to 10,500 tourists per month, from Oct. 31, 2019 to Oct. 30, 2020. “The launching of OLAP is just thebeginning,” she said, adding that they will roll out several activities thatwill entice more visitors. This, after the launching of the Oplan#LoveGuimaras Assistance Package (OLAP) held recently in Parola here. ILOILO City – The Department ofTourism in Western Visayas (DOT-6) targets a daily average of 350 domestic andforeign tourists who will visit the island-province of Guimaras. read more
“Sobrangsaya dahil hindi ko po in-expect na ‘yung performance ko ayenough na qualify sa SEA Games,” said Bejoy, a formerRomanito Maravilla National High School standout. Quitoy, who is also from RomanitoMaravilla National High School, said it was a dream come true for her to playin the SEA Games and in front of fellow Filipinos. Both Bejoy and Quitoy were mentored byNegrense Addy Arca./PN BACOLOD City – From representingNegros Occidental and Western Visayas, tracksters Bernalyn Bejoy and AnnKatherine Quitoy are now set to hoist the country’s flag in the internationalstage. “Madamipo ang gustong mag-compete sa SEA Games, particularly sa javelin throw, so I am blessed na nag-qualifyako,”she said. Bejoy and Quitoy were both part of thenational squad that will compete in the 30th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games withthe former competing in the 400-meter hurdles and the latter in javelin throw. Bernalyn Bejoy and Ann Katherine Quitoy “Noonpangarap ko lang itong makalaro sa SEAGames, pero ngayon nagkatotoo na atmaganda pa dun ay sa Philippines ‘yungSEA Games this year,” Quitoy added. Bejoy, an incoming rookie for the DeLa Salle University athletics team, said she was surprised to earn the slot tocompete in the biennial competition. “Ibapo ‘yung saya kasi I am not of thenational team but I was given a chance to compete sa SEA Games due to my performance this year,” she added. read more
Noblesville, In. — After more than 35 years, the tradition continues this summer with Symphony on the Prairie. The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra will feature “The Music of Star Wars” on opening weekend, Friday, June 15 and Saturday, June 16 in the Conner Prairie Amphitheatre.The orchestra will perform highlights from legendary composer John Williams both nights beginning at 8 p.m., doors open at 6.Single tickets and Value Packs are available at Kroger stores now.
Greensburg, In. — The Greensburg Junior High School will present a production of “The Lion King” Friday, November 9 and Saturday, November 10 at 7 p.m. in the GJHS Auditorium. Kids five and under are free, K through 12 $5 and adults are $7.
ORONOGO, Mo. – A chassis builder that has helped drivers win championships since the early days of the Modified division continues in a coveted sponsorship role in 2017.Dirt Works Race Cars returns for a fifth season as title sponsor of IMCA’s Eastern Region and will provide a portion of the $6,000 to be paid to top 10 drivers in final point standings for the region that includes sanctioned tracks and events in Alabama, Florida, Michigan and New York.The regional championship pays $2,500. The runner-up earns $1,250, with $625 for third, $325 for fourth, $300 for fifth and $200 for sixth through 10th place. Drivers must display two Dirt Works Race Cars decals on their race cars to be eligible for point fund shares.“IMCA’s affiliation with Dirt Works dates all the way back to 1996 when Allen Essenburg of Copperas Cove, Texas, won the Dirt Works South Central Region,” noted IMCA Marketing Director Kevin Yoder. “It was the first region we had with a title sponsor and soon Dirt Works became synonymous with not only that region, but many others. Today we’re proud to carry on that legacy with their Eastern Region title sponsorship and look forward to a great season.”Dirt Works, located in Oronogo, Mo., is owned by veteran driver Jerry Hoffman and is a sister company to Hoffman Race Cars.More information about either make of chassis is available by calling 417 673-7426 or 417 465-2410. Company websites are www.hoffmanracecars.com and www.dirtworksracecars.com. read more
RelatedPosts Lampard: I still have confidence in Tomori Lampard: Tomori won’t leave Chelsea Anjorin: I’ll fight for shirt in Chelsea except there’s a tempting loan offer Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard, has thrown down the gauntlet to Tammy Abraham.Lampard said the young striker knows how he’ll be judged.“It’s normal that the top strikers are judged on goals, and the next level of that is: do you score goals against the big teams,” said Lampard. “I understand that because against someone like [Virgil] Van Dijk, a defence like Liverpool, a team like Liverpool, maybe it’s harder to create chances.“So it’s what can you do individually to try and create them, and how clinical can you be after that. He’s shown great signs this season but it will be another test on the way and it’s not the be all and end all day and we make our judgements after this. But for the top strikers like Didier, we all remember the amount of times he scored in finals and semi-finals and really important games and I think, quite rightly, players are judged on that“The thing I love about Tammy is his enthusiasm. He takes every day like it’s a challenge and a happy challenge. He wants to come in with a smile on his face and wants to score goals in training and be the best he can be. I think if you’ve got that attitude, you’ve got a great chance, because we know he has the talent.” Tags: Frank LampardVirgil van Dijk read more
O’Connell was man of the match as Munster produced a devastating second-half performance to down the English champions, with veteran fly-half Ronan O’Gara kicking all the points. Munster coach Rob Penney said: “He hasn’t played a lot recently and he will get better with more game-time. I suspect that by late June and early July, he will be humming.” Paul O’Connell inspired Munster to an 18-12 Heineken Cup quarter-final victory over Harlequins and was immediately tipped to make a big impression on the British and Irish Lions tour. He added: “He is great isn’t it? Everyone speaks about him in glowing terms and so they should. First and foremost he is a wonderful man. “He has this empathetic outlook on life, he sees things through other people’s eyes, and he has this understanding that makes everyone feel good to be around him. You couple that with his rugby ability and he is just a really complete man. Munster have fed off him for a long period off him.” Harlequins led 9-6 at the interval after enjoying early dominance in the scrum but they began to lose shape and composure in the second half as Munster turned the screw. “The better side won,” O’Shea admitted. “The won the breakdowns and the collisions and we are bitterly disappointed. “We have to take a bit of time but I said to the guys that they have to learn from the journey that Munster went on (before winning their first Heineken Cup title). “Sometimes you are driven by that hurt. We did not play the way we could today. We were not allowed to play because Munster bossed the second half. “I thought Paul O’Connell was absolutely majestic. The whole team was physical but he was the totem that the whole team just rose around.” Press Association read more