Dear Editor,General and Regional Elections 2019 are seen by many uninformed persons as ‘the grab for control of oil money’. This is a most unfortunate conclusion, not supported by facts. The 2019 Administration will in fact face the massive challenge of rebuilding an economy devastated by APNU/AFC profligate spending and wanton waste that reduced reserves by US$350 million, increased debt by US$900 million, increased taxation in every sector, and lowered export earnings.The hard work of rebuilding a thriving economy based on Agriculture (sugar, rice, fisheries); Mining (gold and bauxite), Forestry and Commerce has been largely undone by the Granger’s Oil inebriation. The job will be made that much more difficult by the continuous reckless claims of fabulous Oil wealth from ‘first oil’. Oil revenues are expected to inject US$300 million per annum for the first five years. The incoming administration will have to deal with expectations made by these claims of windfall riches versus the reality of the contractions of 8-30% in all the productive sectors of the economy.The recent Oil and Gas forum exposed the vacuity of the APNU/AFC administration. The political decision to host an event for ‘youth’ and have no answers to the very real thirst for knowledge about the industry and, importantly, the jobs available to Guyanese was a misguided exercise in puffery. To boast, “Guyana has benefitted directly to the tune of over US$65 million from local content in 2018 alone,” to 500 young people who have not earned a dollar of that, or seen a positive impact on their lives demonstrates the problem caused when the rubber of propaganda hits the road of reality.Guyana needs an administration that understands the importance of a job to a person’s psyche, their sense of wellbeing. Our people want to earn a living by honest means in any sector of the economy. Talk of a sovereign wealth fund means very little to a citizen without job prospects.Guyanese need to listen carefully, over the coming weeks, to the utterings of those seeking support at the polls. Distinguishing between plans for developing all of Guyana and promises meant as comfort to fools has never been more important.Yours truly,Vickram Bharrat
…says “unrest” might follow adverse ruling against GovtAttorney General of Guyana, Basil Williams has asked that the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) confirm the decision of Guyana’s Court of Appeal in relation to the question of the votes being required for the validity of the passage of the No-Confidence Motion to be 34 votes in the National Assembly as against 33.In his submissions to the court on Thursday, he also reiterated that “the principle is, the majority cannot be the same for simple and in absolute”. In this argument, the coalition Government presented that given the fact that there is no half human or half vote, one had to be added to make it 34 for an absolute rather than a simple majority in Guyana’s 65-member Parliament.This argument was first proffered by Attorney-at-Law Nigel Hughes, the husband of sitting Government Minister, Cathy Hughes, following the passage of the No-Confidence Motion on December 21, 2018. Since then, Government has held on to the notion and moved to the courts to offer validity to the view.“The provisions in Section 106 (7) and 106 (7) of Guyana’s Constitution have dire consequences, catastrophic consequences, for Government. If successful, the motion could lead to the premature fall of the Government and possibly the premature disillusion of the National Assembly,” Williams told the Court in his submissions.He stated that the move by former AFC parliamentarian, Charandass Persaud, to vote in favour of an Opposition tabled No-Confidence Motion on December 21, last, is an “act of treachery” alluding to the fact that the coalition Government had only entered office for some three and a half years before this and that the former Member of Parliament’s vote should not be seen as valid given the arguments put forward by other attorneys representing the Government of Guyana.In relation to elections being held in Guyana, the AG noted that in previous years, the country’s history has seen some unrest and aftermaths. He said that this could be repeated if an election is held in Guyana without the proper steps in place.“That is the difficulty that we have. And which the Court, we are asking to take judicial notice of, that around elections if the list is not right, if there is a perception of people multiple voting, phantoms etc, and the list is not a credible list, it is going to be difficult and that is the history of Guyana.”AG Williams added that the second highest court in the land had already spoken on this issue and, therefore, urged that the CCJ rule in that light as well.The Court of Appeal, in March, last, had ruled in a 2-1 split decision, that a majority of 34 votes would have been needed to validly pass a motion brought against the Government.Attorney General Basil Williams
SharesKepa Arrizabalaga made an impressive return in Chelsea’s win at Fulham © AFP / Glyn KIRKLONDON, United Kingdom, Mar 3 – Maurizio Sarri declared the Kepa Arrizabalaga controversy was over after the Chelsea goalkeeper began to make amends for his Wembley mutiny with an impressive display in Sunday’s 2-1 win at Fulham.Sarri’s side took the lead through Gonzalo Higuain before Calum Chambers equalised at Craven Cottage.
THEY’RE some of the biggest names in the music industry – and it seems many of them are coming to Donegal.BBC Radio One’s ‘Big Weekend’ will be in Derry next month and every hotel between the city and Letterkenny is fully booked as thousands of people descend on the North West for a series of shows – with Olly Murs the headline act.Other acts who will play at the music festival include Two Door Cinema Club on May 22 to May 24 (Friday to Sunday).Ben Cooper, Controller BBC Radio 1 and BBC Radio1Xtra said: “We’re really looking forward to bringing our DJs and the biggest artists to a city that is famous for its love of live music.“This will be the first time the Big Weekend has been held over three days so we want as many people involved as possible – at the gigs, listening on Radio 1, watching on BBC 3, on their mobile, online, everywhere!” More than 37,000 tickets will be given away by the BBC for the events.All hotels in the North West are already booked – every Letterkenny hotel booked out well in advance. DONEGAL HOTELS BOOKED OUT FOR DERRY’S RADIO ONE WEEKEND WITH OLLY MURS was last modified: April 15th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DONEGAL HOTELS BOOKED OUT FOR DERRY’S RADIO ONE WEEKEND WITH OLLY MURS