Demba Ba was on target for Besiktas 1 Andriy Shevchenko, Fernando Torres, Demba Ba. There must be something in the water at Stamford Bridge that saps the ability of once prolific strikers.Fortunately for Ba, he has shown that his Chelsea blip was only temporary, quickly rediscovering his goalscoring ability for new club Besiktas.During a difficult 18 months at Stamford Bridge, Ba mustered just 14 goals in all competitions for the Blues, and he is well on the way to eclipsing that in Turkey, after bagging a hat-trick as Besiktas beat Feyenoord 3-1 in their Champions League qualifier.Take a look at Ba’s goals below.
24 August 2007A new campaign, South Africa First, was launched at the GovTech 2007 conference in Cape Town this week, with the aim of encouraging both the public and private sector to make more use of local content when spending on information technology (IT).An initiative of the SA Local Procurement Advocacy Trust, focusing initially on the IT sector, South Africa First seeks to ensure that local businesses benefit from an estimated R1-billion a week spend on products and services in SA as a result of the country’s economic boom.The campaign will encourage government departments, state-owned enterprises and private businesses to include local content preference in tenders, and will run competitions to promote local design and manufacture.Proline and Mecer, two of the country’s largest local personal computer (PC) brands, have already signed up as South Africa First members.“South Africa First is aimed at the government or business buyer – on the surface their decision is about which product to buy, but it is actually about which country is going to create and protect jobs as a result of that purchase,” South Africa First executive director Martin Feinstein said in a statement.Feinstein heads the initiative along with a group of trustees from the technology, tourism, media, agriculture and manufacturing sectors.“We’re not competitive, and never will be, in certain respects; but in other areas we need to incentivise companies to invest in training and production,” Feinstein said. “Not recognizing local content is really a dis-incentive.”Previously, as the chief executive of Proudly South African, Feinstein succeeded in getting more than R50-million in tenders reversed or amended to allow local companies to compete fairly.“Why is it that every laptop we see carried around our streets is in an imported laptop bag?” Feinstein asks.“Why are local PC brands seen by buyers as inferior when in fact a recent study showed their failure rate was far lower than some big global brands? Why are companies who invest in taking unskilled packers, and turn them into technicians who assemble local PCs, not recognized for this in government contracts?”Feinstein said the campaign aimed merely to put into action what business, the government and organised labour had agreed to at a Nedlac (National Economic Development and Labour Council) summit in 2002 – to actively support local IT content through a new procurement code.“We’re five years on, and we don’t see a code. We’d like to see that code become a reality,” he said.“But it’s not just about that, it’s also about actively fostering local innovation, creativity and suppliers, even if it’s for simple things like laptop bags.”Other trustees of the campaign include former Nedlac executive director Phillip Dexter, former Microsoft SA executive Linda Mngomezulu, Gauteng Enterprise Propeller chairperson Merle O’Brien, and tourism specialist Sheryl Ozinsky.SouthAfrica.info reporter Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo material read more
23 May 2014After successfully staging its fifth democratic elections, South Africa is finalising its preparations for the inauguration of President-elect Jacob Zuma, who will be sworn in for a second term of office at the Nelson Mandela Amphitheatre at the Union Buildings in Pretoria on Saturday.On Wednesday, Members of Parliament elected Zuma to serve for another five years as President with former trade unionist and businessman Cyril Ramaphosa as his deputy.Minister in the Presidency for Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Collins Chabane said preparations had been under way for the past few weeks to ensure that Saturday’s inauguration is a success.Thousands of ordinary South Africans, as well as around 40 current and former heads of state, are expected to gather at the Union Buildings to witness the swearing in by South African Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng.After taking his oath shortly after 11am, Zuma will deliver his inaugural address, signalling the start of the new five-year administration. In the days following, he will elect his new team of Cabinet ministers. The first State of the Nation address of the new term, outlining the government’s programme for the next five years, will follow in the coming weeks.There was an increased security presence at Waterkloof Air Force Base outside Pretoria on Friday ahead of the arrival of current and former heads of state who will be attending the inauguration.The Department of International Relations and Cooperation confirmed on Friday that heads of state and government (presidents, prime ministers or royalty) of 40 African countries would be in attendance on Saturday, along with seven former heads of state.South Africa’s BRICS partner countries will be represented at the event by Brazilian Vice-President Michel Temer, outgoing Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Chinese Home Affairs Minister Li Liguo, and Sergey Naryshkin, chairman of the State Duma of Russia’s Federal Assembly.African Union Commission chairperson Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, and a representative of UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, will also be among the guests.SAnews.gov.za and SAinfo reporter read more
Flags of SEA Games countries raised at Athletes Village pic.twitter.com/NxOyccIS2A— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) August 19, 2017At 40, returning boxing pound-for-pound great Floyd Mayweather Jr. may have diminished skills, but his confidence remains as high as ever.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutComing off an almost two-year layoff from the sport, “Money” is making a comeback to the ring next week against Irish superstar and UFC Lightweight Champion Conor McGregor in a crossover match for the ages at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.ADVERTISEMENT UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension RELATED STORY:Mayweather warns of hefty fine if McGregor kicks him in their fight With such an extended period of time away from professional competition, many thought the seasoned boxer would require a stricter training camp to make up for his long absence. Instead, the ever-brash undefeated fighter recently invited his fans on social media to party with him at his own strip club, ahead of the monumental fight.“Come hang out with me Tonight at “GIRL COLLECTION” and ask me anything you want, live & in person!” he wrote, adding he’d be at the venue on Aug. 17 until the 28th.Just to make sure there was no error there, Mayweather clarified that he was indeed praying the whole week before his next fight.“That’s right… I’m partying the entire week before my fight all the way through to next Monday following my fight ONLY at Girl Collection!!!!” his message read.His opponent, McGregor, on the other hand, hasn’t been too modest either, claiming the undefeated fighter won’t even get past the first round. /raADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES Man sworn in as lawyer by judge who sentenced him to prison as a teen 20 years ago SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding SEA Games: Kayla Richardson skips 100m dash, targets 200m gold Manny Pacquiao on Floyd Mayweather: Let him enjoy retirement PLAY LIST 00:44Manny Pacquiao on Floyd Mayweather: Let him enjoy retirement00:50Trending Articles01:49Pacquiao to Mayweather: Want fans to stop asking for rematch? Then fight me again01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Read Next read more
Website – www.touchfootball.com.auFacebook – www.facebook.com/touchfootballaustraliaTwitter – www.twitter.com/touchfootyaus (#TWC2015)Instagram – www.instagram.com/touchfootballaustralia Related LinksDay 2 Results After rain late on Day 1, the blue skies on the morning of Day 2 looked promising that the rain would hold off, unfortunately not. The rain started mid morning and only stopped for brief moments. Games were suspended at half-time of the 4:30pm time slot and no further play will happen today.In the very wet conditions, the Aussies started off strong with more impressive results, winning all bar two. Further details on what will happen to the suspended games as well as future games will be posted in due course.Congratulations to Leonard Ryan on playing his 50th World Cup game when the Australian Men’s 50 defeated Ireland 12 – 0.Day 2 ResultsMen’s Open: Australia (22) defeated France (0)Australia (15) defeated Samoa (0)Australia (6) defeated Fiji (2)Women’s Open: Australia (22) defeated England (0)Australia (13) defeated Japan (1)Australia v South Africa (Game Suspended)Mixed Open: Australia (13) defeated France (0)Australia (11) defeated Samoa (4)Australia v Papua New Guinea (Game Suspended)Women’s 27: Australia (10) defeated England (1)Australia (16) defeated France (1)Men’s 30: Australia (14) defeated Japan (0)Australia (14) defeated England (0)Australia (18) defeated Fiji (0)Men’s 35: Australia (4) defeated by New Zealand (9)Australia (10) defeated France (3)Australia v Japan (Game Suspended)Men’s 40: Australia (10) defeated Japan (3)Australia (15) defeated Wales (2)Australia v New Zealand (Game Suspended)Men’s 50: Australia (12) defeated Ireland (0)Australia v Italy (Game Suspended)Senior Mixed: Australia (12) defeated England (3)Australia (6) defeated by New Zealand (7)Australia v Netherlands (Game Suspended)Keep up-to-date with all of the latest news and information from the Australian teams at the 2015 Touch World Cup: read more
Plano (Tex.) West five-star running back Soso Jamabo has his pick of the litter when it comes to playing college football. Jamabo has officially visited UCLA, Texas and Notre Dame, with the Bruins and Longhorns reportedly having the lead for his services, per 247.That didn’t stop Jamabo from having some fun when asked about his finalists. He named two schools, just not the ones people would expect:That’s right, Jamabo claims he’s down to the University of Phoenix and ITT Tech. Not sure if either school can compete with the tradition, weather or gameday atmosphere of UCLA or Texas, but neither program has lost in years and might lead the country in television advertisements. Jamabo even took things a step further on Twitter this afternoon, posting this hilarious edited photo playing up the whole mock situation:I just wanna thank God.. pic.twitter.com/cdnMiGzNQ4— SOMI JaMITCHELL (@Soso_Jamabo1) January 26, 2015If Jamabo’s budding football career doesn’t work out, comedy could be a decent backup plan. read more
APTN National NewsPolice in Iqaluit were busy this past weekend.A number of drug seizures took place.Hard drugs don’t come easy that far north, but in the last few days, that seems to have changed.APTN National News reporter Kent Driscoll has more.
The Columbus Blue Jackets celebrate a goal during a game against the Los Angeles Kings Jan. 21 at Nationwide Arena. The Blue Jackets won, 5-3.Courtesy of MCTWhile Ohio State’s men’s basketball team seems to have forgotten how to win games, Columbus’ professional hockey team has decided to stop losing.The Blue Jackets are the NHL’s hottest team, having tallied seven straight victories after a 5-3 win over the Los Angeles Kings in Columbus Tuesday night. They have risen from being a team that looked to be on its way to another underwhelming season following a 5-10-0 start all the way to becoming one that is currently in contention to make the playoffs after this franchise-best winning streak.It’s not completely luck, a beneficial schedule or even simply playing over their heads. They are doing it the old-fashioned way, using an excellent penalty kill, some of the best 5-on-5 offense in the NHL and fantastic goaltending to close out games.That goaltending comes courtesy of 2013 Vezina trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky, who has started six of the seven games on this winning streak. Bobrovsky got off to a mediocre start to the year by his standards, but since returning Jan. 6 from a groin injury to play against the New York Rangers — a game ending in the first of the seven wins comprising the streak — he has been a force in the crease.But it has been the offense that has truly been the Jackets’ strength in the new year. The continued offensive firepower of centers Ryan Johansen and Brandon Dubinsky is converging with the midseason resurgence of defenseman Jack Johnson at just the right time. Johnson, whose disappointing first few months to the season likely led to his being excluded from the United States’ Olympic roster, has been playing with a chip on his shoulder since the Sochi selections were announced. In addition to notching five points in his last five games, Johnson has also been playing improved defense in front of Bobrovsky.The main cog on offense, however, has been right wing Nathan Horton. Horton, who sat out the three months of the season with a shoulder injury, has been everything coach Todd Richards could have hoped for when he was signed to a seven-year $37.1 million contract in July. Since making his Jackets debut Jan. 2, the team is 8-1-0, with much of the credit going to the point production and leadership Horton brings.This dominant Jackets run has been a pleasant surprise. But it was not completely crazy to think a postseason appearance could be possible before this year’s campaign had even begun, given the team’s 24-17-7 performance in the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season that captured the attention of many fans. Now that they have thrust themselves into the playoff mix again, it is time for a franchise that has yet to win a playoff game since their 2000 inaugural season to start dreaming big.If the playoffs began today, the Jackets would be the second of two Eastern Conference wild card teams and would have a first-round date with the Pittsburgh Penguins, against whom they are 0-4-0 this season.That is why the Jackets must now set their sights on capturing one of the top three spots in the Metropolitan Division, which are currently occupied by the Penguins, the Rangers and the Philadelphia Flyers in that order. If they can take over one of those spots in the standings and secure a more favorable first round matchup, it is very possible that they could not only win their first playoff game but also emerge victorious from a series. As of Wednesday evening, the CBJ are just three points back of the Rangers and two behind the Flyers and are slated to play the latter at Nationwide Arena Thursday night.It is time for Columbus to start embracing the Jackets, the best sports team the city has going for it when football season is over. They currently rank 28th in average attendance, according to ESPN. While the fans at Nationwide Arena can be very loyal and passionate, nothing could top the atmosphere of a capacity sold-out crowd cheering on their team in a huge game.The Jackets appear to be going places this season, and I implore you to “Join the Battle” for these last 33 games and enjoy the ride. read more
Urban Meyer and Gene Smith listen as President Drake speaks at a press conference on on Aug. 22, 2018. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo EditorThe College Football Playoff committee announced Friday that Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith has stepped down from his post on the College Football Playoff selection committee after two years. Smith said that his focus is now on first-year Ohio State head coach Ryan Day. “Serving on this committee has been an honor,” Smith said in the release. “Contributing to this great sport is always a privilege, and I will miss the time with my colleagues. It is imperative for me to have 100% focus in helping our new coach with his transition at The Ohio State University this fall.”According to Bill Hancock, the executive director of the College Football Playoff, Smith was an “invaluable member” of the committee given his experience as both a former student-athlete, coach and collegiate administrator. “This is a significant time commitment, and we understand Gene’s need to focus on his primary responsibility on campus,” Hancock said.Iowa athletic director Gary Barta will replace Smith on the committee. read more
Jose Mourinho has declared himself Michael Essien’s “white daddy” while discussing their special relationshipThe Portuguese coach signed the former Ghana international in August 2005 for a £24.4m transfer fee from Ligue 1 side Lyon in his first season in charge at Chelsea.Together the pair won the Premier League title and the Football League Cup twice and formed a special bond with Mourinho affectionally referring to Essien as his “son”, while the midfielder referred to his coach as his “daddy”.Following Mourinho’s departure in 2008 for Inter Milan, Essien struggled to get back into the starting eleven at Chelsea due to a set of ongoing injury issues that greatly hampered his final years at Stamford Bridge.The now-35-year-old was reunited with Mourinho at Real Madrid after the former Chelsea boss signed Essien on a loan deal and in his final game for Los Blancos, the Ghanan scored his second goal for the club and dedicated it to the coach.“He was not my player, he is my son – I am his white Daddy,” said the Manchester United manager, according to talkSPORT.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“Tell you stories? I can tell you more than stories – feelings. That’s the feeling, he is more than a player for me.“He was probably the only one who took me to his home, to the real home. To the place, he was born, to the street where he played football as a kid.“He made me fall in love with Ghana, with Accra where he lived, because then I had a better understanding of his mentality.“I understand why as a player he was ready for everything, he was ready to die for the fellow players, for the club, for the manager, why he was ready to play like he did for me at Real Madrid with a knee that was not a knee anymore.“It was a destroyed knee but with that personality, that desire and that mentality he suffered, always he suffered, but always with a smile. Michael smiles a lot.“I loved so many of my players but I think Michael would be on the podium for sure.” read more